What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
Every therapy clinic permits certain things while forbids others and this is very important to know this once getting ready for treatment.
Some items are prohibited in the rehab centres. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
The admittance procedure usually starts as soon as you get to the rehab. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. It is a habit with some centres to prepare a catalogue of the items which you bring in order to ensure that you do not leave anything behind when you leave.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. Different centres have different policies in place for extra stuff.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Find Information About What To Bring
The rehab will always notify you of all the items that are not allowed in their facility. You can also get this info on their website. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. Calling the rehab centre is an option in case you can't find packing information anywhere on the site. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Recommended Items List For Rehabilitation
The list varies from centre to centre.
Below are some items that are most recommended
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- Other jewellery with no sentimental value should be left at home.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- It is important to get in touch with the rehab clinic before as some of them provide these objects.
- All prescribed medications in their original bottle.
- If you are taking a liquid drug, the bottle must be sealed.
- You are also allowed to carry a list of all your medications along with the dosages required.
- Minimum amount of cash in cases where vending machines or in-house stores are accessible.
- Your check book, credit card and debit card for the payment of treatment medications are also allowed.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- A notebook or newspaper.
- If you want to mail letters, carry stamps, postcards, and envelopes with you.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- Reading material you want to bring have to be about retrieval, self- help or spiritually focused.
- ADVISE Paperback books are more convenient than hardcovers.
What Clothes For The Centre
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. Include clothes for different weather conditions in your bag if you don't know how the climate is going to be.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
There will be provisions for you to clean clothes in the facility. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday activities, sports and flip flops for the shower.
- Shirts Ensure your shirts are in line with the dress code of your centre.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- Bathing suits a one-piece for women and trunks for men is usually enough.
- A coat / jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. No aerosols are allowed.
Personal hygiene and beauty products that last for a month have to be carried along and they are
- Body sprays
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling spray
- Feminine care products
- Shaving cream
Which Items Are Prohibited
There are some items that are never allowed inside the centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery Please find below the list of objects that are forbidden, it may be different from clinic to clinic
- Alcohol as well as drugs
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Pornographic materials
- Foods and drinks
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes of any form of vape.
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Video games and DVDs
- Games equipment
- Revealing clothing [tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff baring tops, etc.]
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronic products
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Clothing with vulgarity or reference to drugs, booze or violence
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
You will also find that food from outside and drinks are banned because the centres maintain a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. Three healthy meals, beverages, and snacks are provided by the centre. Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
Some Items Are Allowed In Rehab While Others Are Not
Every rehab centre has its own policies and some may prohibit an item which is allowed at the other. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- You will be able to use these items at certain times if they are permitted by your clinic.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- You might not be allowed to bring more than a specific number of cartons.
- Vitamins and Legal Medicines
- As long as they are new and never opened during admission.
- Chewing gums
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- Music Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Clippers
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Additional Items
- You may have permission to bring your own bedding, pillows, and objects that help you feel relaxed.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. You are therefore recommended to call your rehab centres before you leave home to double check their policies. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehabilitation Can Be Easy You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. They always have documents that give details of this information. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Act Now For Help
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. We can help you identify a rehab centre that will be effective for you.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 .