What Will Happen To The People I Care About
You can make sure that your pet, partner or kids are safe and secure when you are in a therapy in so many ways, so even though it is expected to be worried there is no reason for it.
A major worry for individuals who require dependence treatment is their blood relation - where they will live, how they can manage financially and if they can always keep in touch at the time of healing.
Understanding your alternatives can help you make the right decision for you and your loved ones since these challenges can be beaten.
Your family will receive the best loving attention while away by making good plans for them and seeking the assistance of other people before embarking on the recovery program.
- Who will take care of my kids while I am at a treatment centre?
- What if I don't have anyone who can help?
- What other alternatives are there?
- Can my loved ones pay me a visit?
- While undergoing rehabilitation, who will take care of the financial needs of my family?
- While going, is there a way I can tell my child?
- Who will care for my pet when I go into rehab?
- How can I keep in touch with my loved ones from treatment?
- How can I obtain treatment straight away?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Child Care Options For Those In Rehabilitation
Finding someone you trust to care for your children can be difficult if you're thinking about going to rehab. When you are undergoing the recovery program, many people are available to take care of them.
The greatest alternative is often a person very close to the family whom your kids already are really familiar with and are okay with.
Get help with finding a rehab option by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.
Most parents going to rehab request help from
- Boyfriend or girlfriend
- Their parents
- Close friends
Daytime child care can help if the people closest to you have other obligations, like work, school, etc. if there are child care services in your neighbourhood, some rehab centres can link you up with them if the rehab centre doesn't have one.
Some rehab centres will even let your children stay with you in treatment if you are a single parent. Such treatment centres will not only treat the addiction of the parent but also help the child overcome and mental health problems that are caused by the parent's addiction.
Contact us right away for aid acquiring a therapy that enables your kid to live together with you.
How To Speak To Your Child Regarding Rehabilitation
It is very significant to speak with your kid about your dependency and why you are going for a treatment. Carrying on while you are away will be easy as they have a full grasp of what is going on. Blaming themselves for what led to the addiction will be eliminated.
There are some guidelines to follow when talking to your child
- Know as much as possible about rehabilitation and dependence on addictive substances.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Use language that is fitting to the child's age so that they will understand.
- Don't use medical terms.
- Choose the appropriate time for the talk.
- The best place is where concentration is possible.
- Make sure to tell them that you know how your addiction influenced them and their emotions.
- Tell them you're sorry if you're hurt their feelings.
- Be very true and open to interrogations.
- The fact that your are responsible for your actions and they can't do anything about it should be discussed with them.
A principle, known as the Seven Cs, was created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics for children of alcoholics to help them cope with the addiction of their parents. Kids are encouraged to learn the "Seven Cs" by heart so that they always remember they did not cause the problem. It can also give them advice so they can deal with their parent's addiction.
Your Child Should Learn The Seven Cs
- I didn't cause it
- I can't cure it
- I cannot control it
- I can take better care of myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making health conscious choices, and
- Celebrating me
Government And Non-Profit Child Care Solutions
If you don't have any blood relation or allies that can assist you look over your kids, there are several alternatives. The first is non- governmental organizations that are volunteer based such as Safe Families for Children. These organizations discover short-lived residencies for kids whole guardians are incapable of caring for them. The Safe Families for Children program keenly goes through its Volunteer families, to make sure your children will be secure and attended to. This arrangement will help the biological parent keep custody of their children during and after the process of treatment.
Voluntary foster care placement may be offered in your state if you can't find a program that works for your family's needs. This should be the last choice.
You will have to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you opt to place your child in the foster care system. When you do that, you agree to let the Department of Children's Services take custody and care of your kid for a certain time period. You could be required to pay child support on a monthly basis.
This is an understandably scary option, but it is there should you need it. Simply ensure you remain dedicated to the rules of the VPA and go to any needed court proceedings. You can give your kid and yourself the best gift, and that is overcoming your addiction.
Pet Care Options For Rehabilitation
Pets in many homes are important members of the family. People with pets often have a hard time finding care for their pets, just like some addicts do for their children. There are many alternatives for you if you can't find a person to look after your pet while you are in treatment.
It will cost you a small fortune to if the pets spend a long time at some centres where there are facilities for pets. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. Pet sitters visit your residence defined number of times every day or week to conduct care practices. Some will even house your pets until you get home. This is very suitable for dogs and other animals that require great care.
You should ensure that the person you left your pet with while you are away has all the necessary guidelines, your pet's medical history and your vet or animal clinic emergency number. It is also good to inform the animal clinic or vet that your pet will be in another person's care for the duration you will be in treatment.
Some treatment centres will allow you to bring your pet with you if leaving them is not a viable option. Despite this exercise becoming very popular, pet-friendly therapy is still very uncommon. You might have to travel to another area to find this kind of program. If you do not have access to a facility that allows you to reside with your pet, you may find one that lets your pet to be brought over during visits.
Visits From Loved Ones When In Rehabilitation
Many programs regard loved ones a huge section of your healing program and their help will be really significant to your recuperation.
For the first 3 to 7 days after you arrive at the centre, you are not allowed to contact or discuss with anybody as a way of helping you get used to the new environment.
Immediately the first waiting duration is over, many treatment centres provide visitation hours.
While some centres allow visitors either weekly or monthly, others allow them during the short break in the afternoon. Each rehab has its own stipulated duration for visitors.
There are visitors who may be included in a visitor's list by your counsellor so as to see you. Find out the facility's visitation policies to ensure that loved ones adhere to the requirements of the centre.
Talking With Your Loved Ones From Rehab
Even when receiving treatment, you can still get in touch with your loved ones using many channels. Programs are different but many of them will allow the use of phones and email or internet during specific times. Sending and receiving letters is also permitted.
Your family and friends can also send gifts to you as some rehab centres give room for that. Although, they will probably be accessed by staff immediately for security reasons. You can find out from the administration of the facility about prohibited items that are not allowed in care packages.
In some cases you can be offered family therapy. Your family may be suffering from reliance on drugs too. The sessions are meant to facilitate recognizing the feelings of each family member and everyone's healing.
Financial Assistance For Your Family During Rehabilitation
The expenses related to treating addiction can be a burden financially especially where your family has to go without one source of income as you are in rehab. These suggestions will help you with many things you can do to lighten the challenge
- Speak to your boss regarding utilizing your left paid time off and sick days.
- Even if you don't have enough to cover the entire time, you'll still receive a pay check during some of your time in treatment.
- Request your loved one, (friends and family) for help.
- you'll be astonished by the number of individuals ready to donate toward therapy expenses of your family's living costs.
- Confirm with your health insurance firm to check whether they'll cover a section of your rehab.
- Medicare or Medicaid along with the Affordable Care Act provide options which contribute to addiction treatment expenses.
- You can also enquire your boss if they provide short-term disability and if so whether the program caters for substance and alcohol rehabilitation.
- These choices may assist lower the total expenses.
- You might be able to get more manageable payments if your facility offers special financing or payment plan options.
Should you find that your family is falling behind on payments while you are being treated, call your creditors and request extensions or a change in dates when payments are due. A lot of people will be prepared to cooperate with you because many know what addiction means and will want to support your decision to quit.
Choosing Addiction Treatment To Benefit You And Your Family
Your worries regarding visiting therapy and leaving your loved ones behind are absolutely sensible. You'd be very pressed to get a person who didn't share such emotions while they were going into therapy. But these fears should not keep you from seeking the help necessary for you. At the end of the day, being sober is the best thing for you and the people you love.
Don't let addiction ruin more of your or your family's lives.